Thursday, April 5, 2012

How do you do it?

I thought I'd answer this question I get asked a lot...how do I do all that I do, especially when it comes to raising funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation?

Well in my mind the answer to this question is a question...how do I not do all that I do? But let me back track a little...

I remember the days before knowing Andrea had cystic fibrosis. I had a full-time job with a publishing company, didn't have to worry about being on any school boards, and actually had a part-time job as a PartyLite consultant. Well, all that changed the moment we got the CF news.

But the number one thing that changed drastically was how much time I spent watching TV. And that right there is the real answer to the question, because for those who ask it...if you were to tally up how many hours a week you watch TV, then you'll know that's how many hours I'm working on not only raising funds for the CFF, but promoting awareness of CF too.

Now this is not a blog criticizing anyone for how much TV they watch. Heck, before CF became part of our lives I couldn't wait for Thursday primetime shows. I would eat dinner, paint my nails and plop myself in front of the television for 3 hours. THREE HOURS in just one night! Do you know how much I can get done in 3 hours when it comes to CF or anything else for that matter?

And there you have it. I get a lot more done because I really don't watch that much TV. I've tried. There are shows people talk about that I think, "I'm gonna commit one hour a week to watch just one show." I'll probably do it for 3 weeks tops, then go back to doing other things instead. I just can't help it. There is not one show that can take priority over getting rid of STUPID CF, or helping my son deal with his hearing-loss, or assisting on a school committee to help both my kids with their educational needs. Ya, people do a lot for their kids and also watch TV, but that's just not me. I do watch some, but it's here and there and most likely a lot less than most.

So, to each their own is often said, and my own is...less TV and more...raising money for all to be CF FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment